The Registered Dental Hygienist will be responsible for the direct provision of oral hygiene and appropriate preventive services to dental patients of NEW Health (both sites).
Provides care in compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and North End Waterfront Health’s rules, regulations, protocols and procedures governing the practice of dental hygiene and the clinical provision of dental hygiene services as well as those relating to, but not limited to, work place safety, public health and confidentiality.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides outstanding customer service to the patient community with the goal to achieve no patient complaints
- Performs all infection control duties such as:
- Preparing the dental exam room for dental treatment by disinfecting and cleaning treatment areas according to the health center’s policies and procedures
- Cleaning and sterilization of dental instruments according to health center policies and procedures
- Assesses patient needs and their dental conditions using the following screening procedures:
- Review of medical and dental health history and takes patient’s vital signs
- Oral Cancer screening
- Dietary screenings for dental disease prevention and control
- Dental screenings
- Perio Charting
- Provides a full range of dental hygiene services to patients, including:
- Takes, develops and mounts x-rays.
- Evaluates X-rays for the provision of dental hygiene services.
- Charting and documentation of the oral cavity and surroundings structures, including but no limited to, existing dental restorations, lesions and periodontal depths
- Dental screenings, dental prophylaxis, scaling, deep scaling/root planning sealant application and fluoride application consistent with accepted professional practices and standards and in compliance with North End Waterfront Health’s clinical protocols.
- Provides patient dental education in oral health promotion, disease prevention, plaque control and treatment procedures
- Instructs patients in proper methods of tooth brushing and flossing techniques.
- Record Keeping: Documents patient-hygienist transactions and assures that dental record accurately reflects the nature of the contact, the condition of the patient and the care or treatment provided.
- Responsible for maintaining all supplies and materials needed for daily operation of operatory.
- Participates in departmental and center wide meetings and in-service trainings.
- Participates in continuing education programs to maintain licensure requirements and to meet the needs of the populations
- Participates in departmental and staff meetings as specified by Practice Manager.
- Performs other duties and works on specials projects as assigned by Practice Manager.
- Associates of Arts / Associates of Science required.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited School of Dental Hygiene, and licensed in the state of Massachusetts as a Dental Hygienist
- Health Care Provider CPR Certification (BLS certification)
- Minimum two years experience as a dental hygienist required
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Good communication skills
- Ability to maintain appropriate clinical privileges required