Holiday beverages: tips for avoiding excess sugars and unhealthy ingredients
Author: Luisa Siniscalchi, DrPH, NEW Health nutritionist
A delicious holiday beverage from one of the major coffee chains is a temping indulgence this time of year, but they tend to come with unhealthy ingredients. Beverages with names like: Peppermint Mocha, Caramel Brûlée, Toasted Gingerbread, and Eggnog Latte are loaded with sugar, fat, and calories. A 20-ounce eggnog latte contains 68 grams of sugar and 590 calories – that’s 13 and a half teaspoons, more than a quarter of a cup of sugar!
For healthier, yet still, delicious options try the following tips:
- Make your own: You will know exactly what’s in your beverage, you can control the amount of sugar, and you will save money!
- Downsize: Buy the smallest option available.
- Reduce the sugar: Ask for fewer pumps of syrup. Or forgo the sweetener entirely and try a few shakes of cocoa powder or cinnamon.
- Change the milk: Try skim milk, almond milk, or soy milk.
- Keep it simple: Leave off extras like whipped cream and caramel drizzle.
- Drink occasionally: Save these beverages for a rare treat, consider them a dessert.
Like always, enjoy what you like in moderation and be mindful of what you are putting in your body. For more health and wellness tips and information, visit www.newhealthcenter.org