Mediterranean Diet Month
May is International Mediterranean Diet Month. A Mediterranean style diet is a plant-based food plan full of delicious and affordable foods that are low in cholesterol and saturated fats, and high in fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It also includes lean meats, fish and dairy. Studies have shown the Mediterranean Diet to be one of the most balanced and heart-healthy ways to eat in the world!
These tips will help you get started:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Aim for 7 to 10 servings a day of fruit and vegetables.
- Use healthy fats. Use olive oil and include nuts and seeds in your diet
- Eat more seafood. Eat fish and seafood twice a week or more. Avoid deep-fried fish.
- Reduce red meat. Substitute fish, poultry or beans for meat. If you eat meat, make sure it’s lean and keep portions small.
- Enjoy some dairy. Eat low-fat Greek or plain yogurt and small amounts of a variety of cheeses.
- Spice it up. Herbs and spices boost flavor and lessen the need for salt.