Tips for Beating the Summer Heat
It is important to beat the heat and stay cool during these hot and humid days of summer. This is the kind of weather that can lead to heat stroke or heat exhaustion when you don’t take proper care of yourself. There are several important things to remember that will keep you healthy:
- Drink plenty of cool, nonalcoholic fluids.
- Stay in the shade, in air conditioning or near a fan.
- If you don’t have a fan or air conditioning, spend time in a public cooling space (Nazzaro Center).
- If you have to be out in the sun, wear a hat or use an umbrella.
- Avoid overexertion.
- Don’t exercise when it is hot and humid.
- Wear light colored and loose fitting clothes.
- Don’t plan activities during the hottest part of the day.
Warning signs or symptoms of heat related problems that should be taken seriously are:
- Rapid heartbeat.
- Chest pain.
- Lack of energy and appetite.
If you have any of these signs or symptoms, call your health care provider immediately. For more health assistance and information, visit northendwaterfronthealth.org.