Celebrate National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables month by eating colorful and tasty foods! Fruits and vegetables are low in calories and high in fiber. They lower the risk of certain chronic diseases and help in maintaining a healthy weight. Increase your vegetable and fruit intake with these tips:
- Pack portable, easy-to-eat fruits and veggies for work or school
- Add extra vegetables to soups and stews
- Fill in a sandwich with fruits and veggies, try sliced or shredded carrot, cucumbers, onion, pepper, radish, tomato, apple, avocado or pear
- Instead of bread, use lettuce leaves or hollowed out cucumber for sandwiches
- Keep a bowl of washed fruit on your table or countertop
- Eat fruits and vegetables for snacks
- When eating out, ask for a fruit cup or side salad instead of fries or chips.