By Luisa Siniscalchi
In celebration of National Nutrition Month, try flavors and foods from around the world.
Nutrition is one of the biggest factors in our health. What we eat can significantly increase or decrease our risk factors for disease. It’s about your pattern of eating, not just healthy choices here and there. There are many nutritious and delicious foods from cultures around the world. During National Nutrition Month take a step toward better nutrition by following these tips:
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods
- Try new foods from different cultures
- Eat vegetables and fruits everyday
- Incorporate your favorite cultural foods and traditions
Try this recipe for a nutrient-dense and delicious dish:
Ethiopian Collard Greens
- 1 pound collard greens or kale chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cardamon
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet cook garlic, ginger, cumin, cardamom, and paprika in olive oil for about one minute, while stirring with a wooden spoon
- Add onions. Sauté for about 5 minutes
- Add chopped collards/kale, cayenne pepper, lemon juice. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until greens are cooked according to your preference.
- Add salt and pepper.